This is a nice tender cake – one of my Mom’s specialties from years ago. It is a great cake to take along to a picnic. This cake is perfect for afternoon tea. Use your favorite berries, fresh or frozen, to try different variations.
Makes 12 squares
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (125ml) skim milk
- 1/2 cup low fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbs canola oil*
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs finely chopped (not ground) walnuts
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Spray a 20cm square cake tin with olive or canola oil cooking spray.
- To make the cake, combine egg, milk, yoghurt and oil in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Sift flours, sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Stir dry and liquid ingredients together until just blended. Do not over beat.
- Fold in the blueberries and transfer batter to the prepared cake tin.
- To make the topping, combine sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into 12 squares and serve warm.